America

"Freedom and responsibility we speak of easily, nearly always without recognition of the iron courage required to make them effective in our lives." j. glenn gray

Thursday, April 10, 2008

WWP Soldier Ride

Well where do I start... where I'm at... where I've been... where I want to go...

My intention was to update my blog daily on my journey with the Wounded Warrior Project. Unfortunately, that proved to be more than I wanted, or could maintain. In fact, I've been so damn depressed since my return that I really haven't had the energy or drive to do a damn thing. It was a tough month. During my trip I felt bad physically with aches, cold sweats, cramps, stuffy head. Turns out I was carrying a rather nasty little virus and apparently all of the tequilla I ingested wasn't enough to kill it. The doc gave me a couple of shots and 10 days worth of anti-biotics. I had been sick the week before we left and thought I had kicked it. Then it crept back in on my trip and I spent two weeks laying on the couch when I got home. I guess being physically ill opened the door for my psyche to wander down a dead end road. It was an entire week before I could even muster the energy to talk to my wife and kids.

Even being sick I had a great time on Soldier Ride. I met some truely courageous individuals. Their stories are amazing... gut wrenching. These are the young Americans who put themselves in harms way every day in iraq, afghanistan and other parts of the world. I felt kind of funny driving back from San Antonio. We spent the first day just shooting the breeze and getting to know each other. By the end of the second day we were establishing bonds of friendship and it felt like we were just getting started when it all came to an end. Woody invited me to Soldier Ride, Las Vegas this fall and I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation.

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by TXPeddler

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by TXPeddler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors