America

"Freedom and responsibility we speak of easily, nearly always without recognition of the iron courage required to make them effective in our lives." j. glenn gray

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Time's A Flyin'!

Well, well, well! Where do I start? Times are simple now though I've been keeping very busy. I've been riding and working on plotting the ride route and schedule. The route map took forever! I don't think there is a straight road in all of Virginia! I've been using Google Earth and plotting the route with way points so, I have to place way points throughout each curve in the road to make a turn. Corners are great... just 1 dot at a 90-degree and bingo, that's it. Texas was easy as most roads seemed to come to angular intersections but once into the mountain areas there are bunches of curves and switch backs. The ride is on Google Earth as HOU-NYC Bike Ride and google maps under TXPeddler and same title.

I've sent out all the request letters and posted fliers around LBS' and bulletin boards where we shop and mail and eat and wherever else I trod. No responses yet although we still have a few weeks to go.

Many, many thanks to my friend Anthony for the B.O.B. Yak trailer! This will be perfect for the mission. I'll be able to stow all of my camp gear and food on the trailer leaving the panniers for clothing and personal items thus distributing the load into a much more manageable arrangement. Anthony is shipping the trailer and I should have it this week.

I am still in need of a few items that are necessary and a few that would be nice to have for documenting the mission. Unfortunately, my entire budget was ate up when we had to put a larger-than-expected down payment on the truck. Besides eating into my funds for preparing for the trip, it ate up my motel budget and extras like my weekly dine out treat. So, I will definitely be riding this one RANGER style, which is actually OK with me because our Troops on deployment right now and those in transition to civilian life with serious injuries don't have all the comforts of home either thus, I will share some discomfort with them. I'm sure I will survive.

NEEDS:
-sleeping pad (thermarest neoair regular... my one from college field camps fell apart)
-camp stove, cookware & utensils (jetboil group size as I don't think the personal one would cook enough to satisfy hungry cyclist... and I only have the large, old coleman stove for car camping)
-bike lights (1 front, 2 rear) (kids lost mine while on loan as flashlight for their job; have one rear but really want to light up the trailer by adding 2 more)
-mini pump with gauge (only have shop pump with gauge and frame pump without gauge... need to keep front tires at same air pressure hence the gauge)
-topek alien II multi tool (have serfas multi-tool but doesn't have box end wrenches in it).

WOULD LIKES:
-mini netbook
-12 mega pixel digital camera w/ video
-digital voice recorder
-helmet cam

I have request letters out for sponsors like Campmor and Sun & Ski but haven't heard back. Other merchants like REI & Sports Authority have a more convoluted way of asking for assistance and I generally got the impression that they would prefer to support large local events in specific areas such as bikes only or camping only (actually, they seemed like they didn't want to donate anything to anybody unless you were going to make payroll for them). Guess you gotta be a big guy to ask the big guys for more big stuff... like a loan where you have to have the money to borrow the money!?! If I had it I wouldn't be asking! However, REI seemed very receptive to contributing directly to WWP for specific events like Soldier Ride though their budget was set for 2010.

Anyway, off the milk crate and onto the bike. I've uploaded some pics of the trike and the truck for y'all to see. I'll post more in the next few days.

I'm having difficulty keeping up with updating the blog, plotting and planning, emailing, training, kids, eating, etc. So, I've asked TC to help out and make updates to the blog for me. Please be nice to her and if you have questions or comments for me please post and I'll be happy to get back with you as soon as possible. For those that are emailing me, it is difficult to keep up with each email individually so I'm going to add you to a group mail out list and answer everybody at the same time. This is only for me to be more efficient so please don't take it as a slight or that I am not being personable. If you get an email and don't want to be on the list just say so and I'll be happy to remove your name from the list.

Lastly, I fell down... again... the other day. I was simply trying to side-step around the kitchen table when I lost my balance and toppled over. I hit my back on a chair and slammed my rear on the tile pretty hard. It must have looked impressive as Mick, my son who was also sitting at the table, shot up like a rocket with eyes like saucers in an effort to help me up. It hurt a bit at first and I thought it went away. Turns out it was a pretty deep bruise and I aggravated it by continuing to ride. I took a couple of days off this past week and then rode yesterday. Last night I could hardly walk. I didn't ride this morning and have the heating pad on right now. Perhaps a couple more days along with hot baths and some epsom salts will help.

RIDE ON!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors