America

"Freedom and responsibility we speak of easily, nearly always without recognition of the iron courage required to make them effective in our lives." j. glenn gray

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Love Your Wife Day


It started more than two years now, I figure. One day I was looking at Theresa and I thought, "you know, I don't want to wait until the kids are gone and then find out I don't even know who my wife is." We spend so much time and energy on the kids and work and everything else to keep our household running that we often forget to take the time for each other. We rush through our harried day, grab some dinner, clean up, go to a meeting or watch a little t.v. to relax and then it's off to bed where we fall quickly to sleep from exhaustion. You tell yourself that you'll "get around to it" or my favorite "next weekend we're gonna...blah, blah, blah" and it never fails that next weekend comes & goes in much the same manner as the previous fifty-two.

One day I opened my PDA and added a date to my calender; it was "Love Your Wife Day" and I set it to recur every Sunday to give me a little kick in the right direction. The first few months I simply made sure that I told Theresa I loved her and how much she meant to me. Then I started clearing away other items scheduled for Sunday morning so I could take her for breakfast. Every Sunday I would pick a different restaurant so that we didn't just get into another scheduled event that we had to attend. Picking a different restaurant involved talking about what we liked and didn't like and where we might like to go next. That led to us planning where we could go eat that would put us in close proximity to something we wanted to do for the day such as the beach, a park or the movie theatre.

Now, I think, everyday is "Love Your Wife Day." We spend more time together. We know each other so much better. It is easier to make decisions and there is much less time spent discussing issues, which leaves us that much more time to enjoy the things that we love to do... like discussing issues that are bigger than us. We both look forward now to a time when every day will be Sunday.

Ride On!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors