America

"Freedom and responsibility we speak of easily, nearly always without recognition of the iron courage required to make them effective in our lives." j. glenn gray

Monday, September 7, 2009

Ride Map Day 27: Newark, DE to Bensalem, PA

Many, many thanks to my dear friend, Scott without whom I would not be in Newark, Delaware right now... in fact, I'd probably be roadkill on a Virginia roadway! Still, I enjoyed getting to ride shotgun through the Virginia countryside with the top off of the jeep. I still got to be closer to the countryside than buzzing along with the AC on and the radio up. It was very enjoyable and I really liked being able to visit with my good friend again. I will be returning to Dahlgren on my way back to Texas for some more steamed oysters and story telling.

Here we are with only about 130 miles left to pedal. Theresa is happy that I am safe and was able to catch back up to my schedule. I also just got a text message from my friend Jessica Benson, Latseen's wife. She said it sounded like so little miles after all I've done so far... I really had to think about that one. The days have seemed to just flow together. If I had not have been keeping this journal I don't think I could separate the days and tell one from another.

Although I have been living rather simply and with only one goal in sight, it has still been a lot of work. Physically pedaling everyday was only part of the mission. I've also had to deal with the stress of traffic and various roadway conditions and safety buffers. Then I have had to continually check and re-check the daily routes and make sure they will be safe and passable along with transferring the data to my GPS and putting a copy here for y'all to follow. On a daily basis I have to find lodging that is close enough to the route to be feasible; 15 miles to a campground in a car sounds reasonable but that's and hour and a half ride by fully loaded TerraTrike! After arriving at the days end I take care of making camp, personal hygiene and dinner then spend about an hour updating the blog. Many nights I haven't gotten to sleep until passed midnight only to wake at 0600hrs to begin it all again. I am, in no way whatsoever complaining. This has been the trip of a lifetime. I have met some truly great people, many of whom are Veterans. I've seen some beautiful parts of our great Country and with some effort I've managed to bring some well-deserved awareness to Wounded Warrior Project. Additionally, what I have managed over just a few short weeks is nothing compared to what our Troopers are dealing with on a daily basis for multiple deployments lasting as long as fifteen months. They are in my heart and thoughts every single day. Thank you for what you do and thank you for what you have done... you know who you are.

My ultimate goal is to have made a positive impact toward the lives of our returning Warriors, especially those with grievous injuries, and to help them be able to make a smoother transition from the battlefield back to civilian life. Though their lives will never, ever be the same again, I hope that it can and will be long, healthy, enjoyable and prosperous. From my experience, Wounded Warrior Project is well equipped to make an impact on a large scale and by helping them, I am reaching my goal. I hope that you will help me support Wounded Warrior Project by taking the time to make a donation HERE.

Soon I will be looking, for the first time, at the remains of where and why this conflict started. I remember clearly where I was when the attack first started. I remember distinctly that hollow gut feeling followed by a feeling of urgency to run towards the attack... to do my part. I wasn't able to participate in our defense or the cleanup after the destruction (although I am proud of having worked for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who were there to provide the leadership in that mission, at the time). I am certain that on this 9-11 I will be filled with many emotions but, I think pride will be the most prominent. Not pride in myself or pride in that I have accomplished my goal but, rather, pride in the Men and Women who made it possible for me to undertake this mission in the first place; the courageous Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen and Coastguardsmen of these United States. Without the blanket of Freedom they provide none of this would have been possible. Thanks, guys! You know who you are...

Enjoy the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors